Monday, August 15, 2005

Are Video Games Corrupting Our Children?

I happened across a very good article by Andy Harrover in the Potomac News. His focus is on the Grand Theft Auto series, but the points he makes are germane to other games, as well as music, movies and television. It's well worth reading and I recommend it highly. As a parent of four, I can honestly say the whole issue misses the most critical point: Don't let society raise your children, do it yourself! My wife and I have been very open-minded about what our children can be exposed to. We are extremely active in their lives and have always maintained open and honest communications with them. Whether it's video games, movies or simply what they see on the news, society's ills offer excellent opportunities to to have frank and meaningful discussions about right and wrong with our children. And the results are tangible. Our children are well-adjusted and open-minded, yet thay have a very strong sense of morality and understand what is right and what is wrong. The problem is that many parents do not take advantage of these opportunities. Some shelter their children from anything and everything while others simply ignore the problem. Either way, these parents abdicate the single most important responsibility they will ever have. The bottom line is, no on will ever be able to raise my children better than I can, especially Congress. Solving society's ills should start with fixing the problems themselves, not simply censoring how and for whom they are portrayed.

2 Comments:

At 8/15/2005 10:23:00 AM, Blogger MR JMS said...

Agreed.

At the end of the day I would almost rather have my child play a video game with violence in it than watch Fox News. Why doesn;t the meida address the items it is putting into the mainstream and how it affects are children versus attacking video games?

 
At 8/15/2005 02:21:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thanks jms. Although I think that Fox does a better job than most in editing out questionable stuff in the AM broadcasts there are still tidbits.

My other beef with Fox is that there is precious little "real" news in the morning. There is plenty about how ED or the others "feel" or what they suspect the President thinks but not much else. I would hasten to add that Fox is not alone in that boat.

Sadly, in our age, people that are interested in the news have to watch 3 different broadcasts and figure it out for themselves. I still think that the BBC, given all their warts, gets it more right than any American broadcast.

-Andy

 

Post a Comment

<< Home