Wednesday, August 10, 2005

Sabato: Political Scientist or Marketing Genius?

I got curious today and took a look at Larry Sabato's biography. I wanted to see exactly what Prof Sabato had done with his life and why he was such a knowledgeable and sought after political analyst. Well... I found nothing. From what I can tell the good Professo finished his undergrad work at UVA, snagged a Rhodes Scholarship, and finished up his PhD pretty quickly at Oxford. Good for him, it is a very impressive academic record. But, I was left wondering... What has Prof. Sabato ever done in the real world? *cricket, cricket* Is he just another professor that has read alot of books and thus is the all-knowing political genius of our time? If that is the case then I am sorely disappointed and will probably begin paying alot less attention to what he is saying. It reminds me in many ways of college where I found the Professor's with real experience to be a million times more interesting than any professor with five PhD's and ten fellowship and three books. So, for now I ask the question... Is Sabato truly a political genius or just great at marketing himself? If he has no real political experience(and I mean campaigns... not PAC's or policy work in DC or Richmond) than I would say he is definitely not the former in my book. If he has had real political jobs than someone please correct me. Sorry Larry... A piece of paper on the wall will never replace real experience. And the hair needs to go.

3 Comments:

At 8/10/2005 03:23:00 PM, Blogger Addison said...

He was a higher up in the Henry Howell campaign of 1973. I think it's been removed from his biography b/c of Howell's reputation as a flaming lib.

The main thing that made him a quoted pundit is that he always, always returns phone calls. There isn't a paper in America that can't get a three or four hour turn around on a quote from the good Dr.

 
At 8/10/2005 04:54:00 PM, Anonymous Waldo Jaquith said...

I used to have a similar perspective on Sabato. But then I took the time to learn more about him, and discovered that I was wrong.

 
At 8/11/2005 10:12:00 AM, Blogger Riley, Not O'Reilly said...

But if the hair goes, he'll look like Dr. Phil!!!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home