Tuesday, August 09, 2005

When Politics and Sports Collide

Like many political junkies, I am also an avid sports fan. Driving home yesterday afternoon, I almost ran off of the road when I heard this story on the radio. Now, I'm a true, blue Cavalier, which I don't have much use for Florida State, or any other ACC school for that matter. But the NCAA has really overstepped in this case. Using "Seminoles" as a mascot doesn't seem to me to be particularly offensive or racist. The university has a long history of supporting the Seminole tribe in Florida. Furthermore, the Tribal Council of the Seminole Tribe of Florida passed a resolution in support of FSU's use of the name. So, if I follow this correctly, Florida State University supports the Seminole Tribe and honors it by using the name, and the Seminole Tribe (who would most likely be offended) supports this wholeheartedly. Am I missing something? Does anyone else think this is nuts? As someone from a family with very strong Irish roots, maybe it's time we do something about that offensive school in South Bend, IN. Doesn't anyone else find "Fighting Irish" offensive? We're not all drunken louts, you know.

5 Comments:

At 8/09/2005 04:16:00 PM, Blogger MR JMS said...

I am a Trojans fan. Are we going to stop using that name as to not offend the citizens of the city that was burnt to the ground 3000 years ago?

 
At 8/09/2005 04:36:00 PM, Blogger Mitch Cumstein said...

Of course! Trojans! And here I thought their mascot was plea for safe sex.

 
At 8/09/2005 06:38:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I think we need to change the name of the federal city -- having such a sewer named after George Washington is offensive!

 
At 8/10/2005 09:40:00 AM, Blogger Riley, Not O'Reilly said...

Well, Harvard law professor Alan Dershowitz years ago complained about my alma mater, Holy Cross, having as its mascot the Crusader. Apparently, he found it offensive to the Islamo-fascists.

Our unofficial motto in the late '80s and early '90s was "Notre Dame -- The Fighting Irish. Holy Cross -- The Winning Irish." (It helped that during my four year stint there that the football team only lost a total of 3 games and we had a Heisman finalist.)

 
At 8/10/2005 10:22:00 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

The crazy thing that they are doing is wiping from popular culture any memory of the American Indian. In a weird way, they are dishonoring the native American by ensuring no one ever thinks, talks or refers to them again.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home