Thursday, August 18, 2005

Will the Senate be Scarborough Country?

I know TC won't agree with me, but my vote would be for Scarborough over Harris anyday of the week! Here is what the National Journal was able to wrap-up:

FLORIDA: Seriously, Where Has His Career Gone Since Singing "The Greatest American Hero" Theme? Ex-Rep./MSNBC's Joe Scarborough (R) said 8/17 that he has already talked with NRSC chair Elizabeth Dole (R-NC) and plans to meet with RNC chair Ken Mehlman and WH officials next week about whether to get into the race. Scarborough: "I've told everybody I'll keep an open mind. I'm happy with NBC, NBC is happy with me. They've offered me a new contract. That's sitting on the table. ... I give my kids and my wife a veto and we'll see what happens over the coming weeks" (Farrington, AP, 8/17). More: "I'm not going to want something like this hanging over my head. I'm going to make a decision and move on" (Conn, Pensacola News-Journal, 8/18). Scarborough hosted his MSNBC show last night but said nothing about the SEN race ("Scarborough Country," 8/17). Battle Of The Network Stars On his strengths: "You go into their homes every night about 300 times a year for an hour, that tends to help your name ID across the state and the country. If I decide to jump in, I'm confident I'll be able to raise whatever money I'll need to raise and I'll have pretty good name ID to make the primary and the general elections competitive."

On Rep. Katherine Harris (R-13): "Everybody I've talked to in the party likes her personally, it's just the numbers. You look at any public poll and the numbers are not positive for her simply because she's identified with the dustup in 2000. ... (The GOP) is very concerned about that not only in Washington, but in Florida. It's certainly not personal toward Katherine, it's just a cold calculation that obviously people have to make because they're so concerned about holding the Senate" (AP, 8/17). Nobody Likes A Quitter? Some of Scarborought's past supporters "haven't forgotten" that in 5/01 he "announced he was leaving Congress to spend more time in Pensacola with his two sons." Santa Rosa Co. GOP chair Nancy Cole: "People that I've talked to today, their question seems to be: Will he quit again? People were very disappointed that he quit, and some people were very unhappy about the special election because of the money that was spent." The cost of the 10/01 House special in Escambia Co. alone was more than $250K. Escambia Co. Dem chair Ron Melton: "Joe's got a lot of baggage. I don't think all Escambia Republicans love Joe. I think there's a lot of them still livid about him quitting." Ex-Escambia Co. GOP chair Diane Rittenhouse: "I think Joe would do fantastic. He has the connections. He has the charisma. And Joe has the smarts. ... he's a grass-roots person, and organization is his strong suit." Scarborough: "When I left in 2001, everyone kept trying to figure out what I was going to do. I said then I was going to practice law, spend time with my family and start a cable TV show. Four years later, people have seen that I did exactly what I said I was going to do, and I left for the right reasons. If people didn't understand it at the time, certainly four years later, they do" (Pensacola News-Journal, 8/18). It's All About Contract Negotiations With Rick Kaplan? CNN's Mercurio writes "Our prediction: Scarborough continues to 'seriously consider' a Senate bid and receives loads of free publicity along the way. But ultimately, after a week or two of 'serious consideration,' he opts to remain in the private sector. In a completely unrelated development, 'Scarborough Country' ratings enjoy a brief blip upward, and then return to normal. Just a hunch" ("Morning Grind," 8/18).

I'd love to go to Florida and work this primary if it happens.

5 Comments:

At 8/18/2005 04:02:00 PM, Blogger vatars said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

 
At 8/18/2005 04:44:00 PM, Blogger too conservative said...

Sitting down here in Tallahassee, anxious about this race.
Regardless of Scarborough's late entry, I don't think he has what it takes to win a primary state wide. Harris has many FLA Congressmen's support,as well as many Florida GOP faithful.
She'll cream in a primary. Even when Jeb Bush put someone against her for Sec. Of State, she managed to pull it off.
Harris is the only person who can beat Nelson...unless Jeb himself wishes to run.

 
At 8/18/2005 09:34:00 PM, Anonymous nasuna said...

Scarborough got 30% against Corey Stewart. He has NO chance against Katherine Harris.

 
At 8/19/2005 09:02:00 AM, Blogger MR JMS said...

The 11 o'clock show is completely different from the 8 o'clock show ladies and gentlemen. Please remember to tip your waitress.

 
At 8/22/2005 11:42:00 AM, Blogger Riley, Not O'Reilly said...

I'm with Harris on this one, even though I really did like her opponent's rendition of "Believe It or Not (Theme from 'The Greatest American Hero')". What is Ms.NBC anyway? NBC's version of Oxygen or Lifetime Television for women?

 

Post a Comment

<< Home