Thursday, December 29, 2005

Was Santa Good To You This Year?

Now that everyone has opened their presents (and had a chance to go and exchange things), we have the chance to go back and look at what our favorite things that we received are. Yes, time with family and friends, our health, peace on Earth and goodwill toward man are all important blessings that we should count and be thankful for every day of the year, not just on Christmas. And yes, it is better to give than to receive (and you don't know just how true that is until you have children of your own and can watch them with their wide-eyes as they first catch sight of the gifts under the tree), but with all that giving going on, you must have received at least ONE thing that you really like. So, go ahead and tell us what Santa brought you this year that you really like. For me, there are two things that I completely did not expect. 1. A personally autographed Baseball Hall of Fame bat signed by former Red Sox great Carl Yastremski. 2. A framed black and white photograph of Ted Williams' first at bat with the Red Sox back in April 1939 during an exhibition game at my alma mater, Holy Cross in Worcester, MA with the main building on campus in the background. There's a little plaque on it with all those details. What's more, in that first at bat, Williams hit a grand slam. So, thanks Mom and Dad for those two big surprise gifts. And thanks to my wife, daughter and mother and father-in law for everything, too. I love you all and wish you all the very, very best in 2006!

8 Comments:

At 12/29/2005 10:07:00 AM, Blogger Hirons said...

How'd you like George Steinbrenner's gift to Boston? Finally got Damon to shave and cut his hair!

 
At 12/29/2005 11:34:00 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Damon's a punk.

 
At 12/29/2005 01:06:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

too bad the red sox suck and you look foolish having those toys in your house.

 
At 12/29/2005 03:51:00 PM, Blogger Willis said...

I got a whole bunch of Seinfeld DVDs. Good stuff.

 
At 12/29/2005 03:58:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Red Sox suck, but not as much as the New York Stankees suck.

Damon's a punk.
Jeter's a punk.
Arod's a punk.

 
At 12/29/2005 08:48:00 PM, Blogger Lucy Jones said...

I got a big box of Godiva chocolates! YUM!!!

Greatest children's gift I gave this year was Marine G.I. Joe and G.I. Joe tank to my grandson. I've waited my whole life to be able to buy G.I. Joe and not be embarassed! Now, if I could only find a real G.I. Joe, 45+ with a hummer, and single...

Greatest grown-up gift was Snow Shoes to my dad. Yep, here in Virginia! I love giving those gifts people would never buy for themselves... At least it's better than a tie!

 
At 12/29/2005 10:43:00 PM, Anonymous Chad said...

Riley, you're a man after my own heart. Baseball-related gifts are always a good idea.

I'm not a Red Sox fan, but I may be one of the few who can understand just how special those gifts were. Enjoy them.

 
At 12/31/2005 11:29:00 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I got the coolest gift... Governor-Elect Tim Kaine getting to pick the cabinet and keep Virginia moving forward instead of that Kilgore guy.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home