Friday, January 27, 2006

Congressman Oren Harris

While I've been down here in Arkansas, I have also been able to learn more about Congressman Oren Harris. Congressman Harris was elected as a Democrat to the Seventy-seventh and to the twelve succeeding Congresses, serving from January 3, 1941, until February 2, 1966, when he resigned to become United States district judge for the Eastern and Western Districts of Arkansas, effective February 3, 1966; chairman, Committee on Interstate and Foreign Commerce (Eighty-fifth through Eighty-ninth Congresses); died February 5, 1997. Oren also happens to be my great-uncle. My great-grandpa was his chief of staff ,which lead my grandpa up to live in the D.C. area, where he was eventually a Baptist minister in D.C. Overall, Arkansas has been different than I expected, in a good way. The people have been friendly, and the food has been good.

2 Comments:

At 1/27/2006 10:20:00 PM, Blogger Elle said...

TC,

I'm interested to know what you did expect...

Glad to know you made it safely

 
At 1/28/2006 10:45:00 AM, Blogger too conservative said...

I expected it to be more mid-western than Southern for one.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home