Thursday, January 12, 2006

Shameless Plug

With the Virginia General Assembly now in session and legislation is being drafted and introduced, I want to put in a shameless plug for a pet project of mine. After successfully working the grassroots last year to get Route 234 in Prince William County designated the Ronald Wilson Reagan Memorial Highway, I have a new goal -- A Virginia DMV issued specialty license for the Boston Red Sox. This would not be an unprecedented thing. Virginia already issues license plates for colleges from throughout the country as well as one for the Washington Redskins. Until a year ago, even New York State issued Red Sox license plates. I am confident that the requirement of obtaining 350 individuals to submit prepaid applications for this plate within 180 days would not be a problem based upon anecdotal evidence just driving around Northern Virginia and seeing Red Sox stickers and license plate frames on vehicles. I actually contacted Sen. Chichester's office about this last year since he is supposedly a huge Sox fan, but I never even received the courtesy of a reply. (One more reason to throw the bum out as I suggest below.) This year, I'm taking a different approach. There are four current members of the House of Delegates who were born in Massachusetts and I've called on them to introduce the required legislation for such a specialty plate. If you want Virginia to issue a Red Sox license plate, please e-mail: Del. Lee Ware (R-65) Del. John Welch (R-21) Del. Brian Moran (D-46) Del. David Poisson (D-32) Thank you for your support. Now back to our regularly scheduled blogging....

13 Comments:

At 1/12/2006 05:57:00 PM, Anonymous Rtwng Extrmst said...

I'll buy one. It will go well with my Celtics-related license plate. Of course the Celts are horrible this year.

 
At 1/12/2006 06:22:00 PM, Blogger Walt Ball said...

I'm as big a fan as any Virginian of the Boston Redsox, but I do not support this idea that Virginia should promote other state's resources and institutions. Every time I see one of those UNC, Citadel, or Naval Academy tags; it's one less Jamestown 2007 advertisement.

 
At 1/12/2006 06:31:00 PM, Blogger Not Larry Sabato said...

I agree with Walt. This could get you Weenie of the Week, Riley.

 
At 1/12/2006 07:03:00 PM, Blogger Riley, Not O'Reilly said...

I see your point, Walt. I'm just playing by the current rules, though. And people have the freedom to sign up for the plate or not (determining whether one is actually issued or not) and, if one is issued, they then have that choice as to get one or not, too. I'm all about freedom, NLS. If that makes me a Weenie, so be it. :)

 
At 1/12/2006 07:07:00 PM, Blogger Riley, Not O'Reilly said...

I meant to end that freedom part with "Yeah, baby!" in my best immitation of Not Not Jay Hughes imitating Austin Powers.

The other thing to keep in mind is that typically, proceeds from such things are directed to charities by the Sox, such as hospitals dealing with childhood cancer (like with The Jimmy Fund).

 
At 1/12/2006 10:27:00 PM, Blogger Hirons said...

any car with a boston redsox logo on it has been given the right to be vandalized!

 
At 1/12/2006 10:55:00 PM, Anonymous marty nohe said...

Sorry, Jim. Gotta go with Hirons on this one.

Now a Potomac Nationals tag... tht would be COOL!

 
At 1/12/2006 10:56:00 PM, Blogger Walt Ball said...

hirons, now see, there ya go being a mindless "Yankee" :) I like the sox for a number of reasons, but one is that they used to be the Braves!

 
At 1/12/2006 10:59:00 PM, Blogger Walt Ball said...

wait! I missed that! are you kidding me!? FOUR Delegates are from MASS?! We're all going to hell in a handbasket. Scarlet, pack your bags, "they're still invading!" Thats four percent for cry'in out loud!

 
At 1/12/2006 11:08:00 PM, Blogger Ryan said...

why would they make a va plate for a team that is not in va.

 
At 1/12/2006 11:44:00 PM, Blogger James Young said...

I'm a die hard Penn State fan, but I've got a problem with the Commonwealth of Virginia issuing license plates for an institution of the Commonwealth of Pennsylvania. I think I've got a conceptual problem with this.

 
At 1/13/2006 12:18:00 AM, Blogger Gone said...

This is Virginia, not Massachusetts.

But more importantly, this is not a priority. Our representatives have many other things that need to be dealt with. I hope that none of you waste their time.

 
At 1/13/2006 08:14:00 AM, Blogger Hirons said...

Benefit of the licence plate thing is I believe it's something that the state actually makes money on that's actually providing a product that people are choosing to purchase.

Only plus side of the Sox getting a plate would be all the mindless, nasty hat wearing, bad accent, bad October attitude, sox fans that would dole out as much as they were asked to display their pathetic team's logo.

To piss of yet another voting population - the only thing worse than a Sox's fan is a Yankee fan - but at least they are tolerable because their team actually wins!

Tigers for '06 World Champions!!!!

However while on the subject there should be a resolution passed to outlaw any concept of a Dallas Cowgirl plate!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home