Friday, January 20, 2006

THESE moderate Republicans, we do not need....

I get all sorts of political e-mails at work. Usually, whenever I get one from Christine Todd Whitman spewing her moderate brand of gobbledy-gook, I delete it without thinking twice. Today for some reason, I decided to open it. I clicked on the link and was promptly delivered to RINO / squish central (aka "It's My Party, Too." / IMP PAC). In their discussion board, there was a thread on the VA Governor's race. This is the kind of nonsense these supposed moderate, supposed Republicans are posting:

bYu | 11/14/2005 10:17:40 AM Go Kaine! As a new Virginian and a former missionary, when Kaine said in the closing remarks of the debate, "I'm about results. When I was a missionary in Argentina, I was about results," I said, "I feel you man!" -------------------------------------------------------------------------------- jeffkeith | 11/14/2005 10:17:03 AM I can't tell you how happy moderate Republicans are that Jerry Kilgore lost. He was so intolerant and focused on issues that, frankly, were geared towards the undereducated constituency from the rural areas he hales from. His transportation policies are based solely on building more roads, rather than focusing on mass transit and alternatives to more cars. I think the thing that bothers me the most about his campaign -- and the Virginia Republican party -- is that they don't want anyone at the table that thinks differently from the guy who sits in the church pew next to them. -------------------------------------------------------------------------------- Jason | 11/10/2005 8:51:07 AM YYYYEEEEEEEAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHH! jerry kilgore lost. This is what the GOP gets when they move to far in with the Religious Right. kilgore spent $70 million on this campaign and all for nothing. Russell potts did pretty well for a third party candidate 40,000 votes from moderate/liberal republicans have shown The state GOP that they can no longer forget about them. -------------------------------------------------------------------------------- Jason | 11/7/2005 8:42:26 AM The latest polls show Democrat Tim Kaine 46% Republican Jerry Kilgore at 44% and Independant Republican Russell Potts with 4% or 5%. Virginia is after all a southern state so of course potts bid is in trouble. Everyone should hope for Kilgore to be defeated, because if he is it will teach the GOP state party in virginia about putting up Right-wing candidates. -------------------------------------------------------------------------------- Melissa Bird | 11/7/2005 8:39:15 AM I am a lifelong Republican who is working very hard on Tim Kaine's campaign. Jerry Kilgore sent me the most poorly written campaign letter I've ever gotten. It ranted, rambled, and raved, and announced his intention to keep gays from adopting children, and perhaps to undue the gay adoptions in place. It made me so sick that I researched Tim Kaine and found a moderate Democrat who sounds a lot like Republicans used to sound before getting in bed with the loud, intolerant right wingers. Tim Kaine is married to the daughter of former Republican Virginia governor Linwood Holton, who is campaigning for him because he, like most of us, is disgusted with the Religious Right. Tim Kaine is a good man by any standards, and my state will be better off if Kilgore is defeated. However, this break from my party, however temporary, simply does not feel comfortable. When I consider the likes of John Kerry, I realize that I cannot depend upon the Democrats to continue to field such stellar candidates as Tim Kaine. Republicans must act now to clean up our party before it's completely changed into a dangerous goup convinced that it is on a mission from God. -------------------------------------------------------------------------------- RnOJenney7@aol.com | 11/7/2005 8:38:58 AM Jason, Jerry Kilgore is not a nut, however, he behaves like a novice politician and is making mistakes which make him appear weak. Sen. John Warner gave him a good endorsement in the Washington Post and there have been other moderate Republicans who have done so because of his position on business, or other single issues. I am having the devil's own time bringing myself to vote for him because he enjoys the backing of so many of the truly off-the-wall right wing of the Virginia Republican Party. Russ Potts is a loose cannon, and I believe he will raise taxes here which I believe will depress our economy. We have a billion dollar excess in our treasury, and we should proceed to focus on continuing to strengthen our economy. Ultimately, I probably will vote for him, holding my nose and keeping my fingers crossed, just as I would expect the right-wing of our party to vote for a moderate candidate when that ultimately happens. Good luck! Olivia -------------------------------------------------------------------------------- Jason | 10/31/2005 12:46:51 PM Russell Potts should be getting all the support he wants from moderate/liberal republicans nationwide for his heroic effort to combat the far-rigt, The Republican Majority For Choice has endorsed him and so should IMP-PAC, The RMSP, and Log Cabin. Jerry Kilgore Is a Right-wing Lunatic that will take Virginia down a very dark road. I hope that no matter what Kilgore loses to Russ Potts or Democrat Tim Kaine.
And get what they're saying about Reagan:
Jason | 10/30/2005 6:06:49 PM He did not do very much in office, His legacy is pretty much this- Appointed the first woman to The Supreme Court, Sandra Day O'conner in 1981 and Signed a major Nuclear arms reduction treaty with the Soviet Union in December 1987. I like that he appointed a good moderate Anthony Kennedy to the Supreme court when his first insane choice Robert Bork went down in flames. I did not like the fact that he was to cowardly to strike back at Iran for their involvement in the 1983 bombing of the marine barracks in Lebanon that killed 241 innocent americans. He should have been impeached for Iran-contra.
These people do not agree with the majority of the GOP on fiscal, social or even foreign policy issues. Heck, at least agree with us on ONE of those in order to call yourself a Republican. Otherwise, who needs you?

10 Comments:

At 1/20/2006 03:04:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Where's the comment from TC? I expected him to be the first one on there!

 
At 1/20/2006 04:08:00 PM, Anonymous Rtwng Extrmst said...

I was gonna say to lay off TC, but I see he has posted above now himself. While we differ in some ways, I find him to be well on-board the GOP train.

 
At 1/20/2006 04:10:00 PM, Blogger too conservative said...

Agreed Riley.

These people arent moderate..

they arent Republicans.

 
At 1/20/2006 04:49:00 PM, Blogger nova_middle_man said...

Those people are not republicans they are independents. However, there are some lessons to be learned mixed in with all of those posts. The truth is in order to win we need some of those people.

Independents win elections. Conservatives/Republicans and liberals/Democrats will always vote with their party. Whoever wins the independents/true moderates wins the power.

P.S. there is a place for moderate republicans and moderate democrats but these people almost always vote party unlike independents who have no party.

 
At 1/20/2006 05:13:00 PM, Blogger Willis said...

"Who needs them??"

YOU NEED THEM.

That is, if you plan on ever winning elections fairly, and not cheating to win.

 
At 1/20/2006 05:20:00 PM, Blogger too conservative said...

why thank you right wing.

I have a sense you know me well enough to make that remark...I'll find out who you are...sometime

 
At 1/20/2006 06:39:00 PM, Anonymous Suedehead said...

Ah, the classic "I'm a lifelong Republican, but I'm supporting ______________, the Democrat"


Never gets old.

 
At 1/20/2006 10:48:00 PM, Blogger James Young said...

Wow, Jim. Welcome to the Dark Side.

 
At 1/20/2006 11:24:00 PM, Blogger James Young said...

Arise, Darth Riley.

 
At 1/21/2006 05:06:00 PM, Blogger James Young said...

Jim, on further reflection of your post, neither you nor TC should be surprised by this. These people have been around for a long time, and remain so. Usually, about Reagan, they keep quiet, but they were the people who opposed him pre-nomination and were never enthusiastic about him. There were some converts, to be sure, but most remained unreconstructed moderates; shortly after I came to Washington in 1989, I remember hearing about comments made in celebration when the last Reaganite was purged from an agency.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home